Yeast overgrowth is one of the 7 root causes of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Candida is the specific type of yeast overgrowth that causes irritable bowel syndrome in certain cases. Essentially the excess of yeast in the gut causes an imbalance that inhibits the digestive process. Due to your diet or other factors, a yeast can start to grow in larger amounts in your gut. This yeast stops your gut from processing food correctly and IBS symptoms occur.
Before You Self-Treat For IBS Caused By Yeast Overgrowth
As mentioned above, there are 7 different causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is best to have a medical professional diagnose your IBS so you can reach PEAK wellness. Also, you may have IBS caused by yeast overgrowth, but it can also be caused by another root cause as well. Contact PEAK so you can find out the root cause of your IBS.
How To Treat Yeast Overgrowth Causing IBS
There are a few key ways to treat your yeast overgrowth. At PEAK we work to provide solutions that are tailored to your personal needs, beliefs, and preferences. Below are a few ways to treat yeast overgrowth and IBS:
1. Improve Your Diet To Stop Yeast Overgrowth
Improving your diet is key to stopping yeast overgrowth. There are a few key steps you should take to adjust your diet and the food you consume:
- Stop consuming sugary foods, overly processed carbohydrates, and alcohol.
- Start consuming a well-balanced diet of healthy meats and vegetables. Try focusing on lean meats. Make sure you focus on vegetables that do not have a large amount of starch. This means celery, cucumbers, and spinach rather than potatoes.
- Increase water intake and make sure you are hydrated.
- Consider introducing fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut, or lacto-fermented pickles (quick pickles) that do not use acid-like vinegar in the fermentation process.
- Physical activity can help support a healthy gut and impact your overall health.
2. Certain Medication or Supplementation To Stop Yeast Overgrowth
In some cases, diet changes are not enough. Many people with IBS induced by yeast overgrowth need antifungal medication or supplements that will help combat the yeast in their gut. We will work with you to find natural supplements or the medication you need to stop your IBS.
3. Rebuild Your Gut Health With Probiotics
No matter if your IBS is caused by Yeast overgrowth, food intolerances, or leaky gut, it is important to rebuild your gut health. We recommend using probiotics, prebiotics, and support for the gut lining to help your gut recover from yeast overgrowth and IBS.
Contact PEAK To Treat Your Yeast Overgrowth & Stop IBS
Treating your irritable bowel syndrome that is caused by yeast overgrowth can be challenging, but it is easier when you work with us. We want you to reach PEAK wellness and provide the hands-on guidance and health coaching you need to regain control of your digestive health.
Our experience and knowledge of chronic diseases and common health issues make us the perfect family medical practice to help you. We are located in Orwigsburg, PA a small town in southern Schuylkill County and we are equipped to serve residents of Pennsylvania. Learn more about Peak Integrative Medicine and how we are reinventing direct primary care.